UNFLAVORED BCAA: Our unflavored BCAA has a bitter and what some consider to be an unpleasant taste. This is because we do not add flavoring to mask the taste of the individual amino acids. If you want a BCAA that tastes great, try our grape, watermelon or lemon lime. Our unflavored version is recommended for advanced users who have experience with it.
BCAA 5000 is NutraBio's anabolic matrix that combines the powerful muscle regenerating benefits of branched chain amino acids (BCAAs). Collectively made up of leucine, isoleucine, and valine, BCAAs are known as essential amino acids because the human body cannot produce them and they must be consumed through diet or supplementation. Independently, each BCAA plays an important physiological role in the body. However, it is their synergistic combination that produces one of the most important processes involved in muscle building and recovery—muscle protein synthesis (MPS).
Athletes, bodybuilders, and fitness enthusiasts alike know the vital role BCAAs play in helping them achieve their training goals. While the extensive list of BCAA supplementation benefits could fill page after page, we will look at the top 10 reasons why BCAAs should be a part of your supplement regimen. As a whole, BCAAs:
Ignite muscle protein synthesis – Leads to larger gains in lean mass accretion and faster recovery times.
Assist in maintaining an anabolic (muscle building) environment – Exercise can put the body in a catabolic state (muscle breakdown). When this happens, BCAAs are used for energy as opposed to growth and repair. BCAA supplementation can improve nitrogen retention by sparing other amino acid groups, which ultimately keeps the body in an anabolic state.
Support lean mass growth – BCAAs activate satellite cells that travel and attach to individual muscle fibers, helping the stressed or damaged muscle as a whole grow in size.
Increase muscle strength – Going hand in hand with benefit #3, increases in lean mass mean large muscle fiber sizes and greater cross-sectional areas, which equates to greater increases in muscle strength.
Increase fat loss – This is largely due to isoleucine, which can stimulate receptors that inhibit fat storage and increase fat burning.
Improve glucose uptake and insulin sensitivity – While isoleucine improves glucose tolerance on its own, the whole trio of BCAAs can support improved insulin sensitivity and metabolic rate for improved body composition.
Increase endurance performance – During prolonged exercise, BCAAs are taken up by the skeletal muscle rather than the liver in order to contribute to energy production (oxidative metabolism). They also can help prevent muscle damage during long-duration endurance sports by protecting muscle tissue
May decrease post-exercise soreness – Also known as delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). BCAAs help repair the muscular structural damage caused by strenuous exercise that is thought to be responsible for DOMS.
Assist in maintaining lean muscle mass during periods of calorie restriction – When calories are cut as a whole, this usually means a drop in protein consumption. Not enough protein and muscles may start to atrophy. Studies have shown BCAA supplementation during periods of calorie restriction can assist in maintaining lean muscle mass while also decreasing fat mass.
Blunt muscle fatigue – Valine competes with tryptophan for entry into the brain and prevails. This means less serotonin gets to the brain, ultimately leading to stronger muscular contractions, quicker recovery between sets, and prolonged muscular strength and endurance.
On the surface, BCAA 5000 may look like every other BCAA formula on the market today. Undoubtedly, the benefits of BCAA supplementation discussed previously aren't exclusive to BCAA 5000. However, upon further inspection, you will see a few key differences that makes BCAA 5000 stand out from the competition. Let's briefly take a look at each.
Key Difference #1 – We are all familiar with the expression "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck." What does this have to do with BCAAs you say? The fact is most BCAAs found in supplements are derived from duck feathers and in some grotesque cases, human hair. If the thought of that makes your stomach turn, consider this: The BCAAs found in NutraBio BCAA 5000 are 100% vegetable based and manufactured through natural fermentation. What's more, except for flavoring, they have no additives, fillers, or excipients.
Key Difference #2 – More BCAAs aren't always better. What is important is the ratio of BCAAs found in a product. Look at 10 different labels and you will find 10 different ratios, from 3:2:1 to 10:1:1, all claiming that its BCAA breakdown offers the most potent ergogenic benefit. Because NutraBio relies on science instead of hype and cheap marketing tactics, BCAA 5000 utilizes the research-validated 2:1:1 ratio(leucine:isoleucine:valine), proven to effectively and efficiently promote muscle growth and recovery and reduce training-related soreness What's more, research had shown that only 2–3 grams of leucine is needed to maximize muscle protein synthesis. The point—don't pay more for the extra BCAAs you don't need, especially when science shows consuming too much BCAAs can negatively affect blood lipid profiles.
Key Difference #3 – Do you know where your supplements are made? Do you trust that the raw ingredients found in them are really what they are supposed to be and have been scrutinized for contaminants before going into a final product? Unlike 99.9% of our competitors, NutraBio BCAA 5000 (and for that matter all our products) is developed in our own GMP-certified and FDA-inspected facility. This way, we can monitor every step of manufacturing from start to finish, ensuring the highest quality BCAA supplement is made without compromise. If that wasn't enough, NutraBio uses FT-NIR spectroscopy to initially analyze every raw ingredient that comes into our manufacturing facility. Every ingredient we receive is immediately quarantined and put into a separate warehouse where it remains until our Quality Control lab analyzes it for identity, purity, composition, and potency. The first level of analysis tells us if the ingredient is what it's supposed be. NutraBio's ingredient qualification program is rigorous and absolutely no ingredient goes into our supplements unless it passes stringent testing to meet our demanding specifications.
NutraBio is a name you can trust when it comes to clean and effective supplements. Since 1996, we have been setting the quality standard in the world of sports nutrition. Although the industry makes it seems like non-proprietary blends, proper dosing, and scientifically backed ingredients are something new, the fact is NutraBio pioneered this trend over two decades ago. We have always been the innovators, not the imitators.
With BCAA 5000, you make no sacrifices—you get proven and powerful muscle building BCAAs without the junk. We pride ourselves on purity. What you see on the label is exactly what you get. BCAA 5000 contains no fillers, excipients, proprietary blends, or other potentially unhealthy or unneeded additives.
We focused on creating the most superior BCAA solution, and we've done just that with BCAA 5000. The unique 2:1:1 ratio of BCAAS from vegetable sources helps reduce training-related muscle damage by stimulating muscle protein synthesis, allowing your body to repair, recover, rebuild, and ultimately have you prepared to tackle your next training session.
Still not convinced NutraBio BCAA 5000 is the premier BCAA on the market? Check out what others are saying:
"Great for intra workout and helps keep a pump when your carbs are low"
Written by Noble Nebetcher from Charlotte, NC
"Awesome product! This stuff tastes like fountain drinks and yet it's primarily BCAA's with a minute amount of added flavoring. These are perfect for flavoring your homemade supplements. They all taste delicious to me but the watermelon is probably going to be the most popular. They are also not expensive at all and I definitely recommend adding this to any supplement stack for lean gains."
Written by Kyle from Columbia, MO
"ABSOLUTE MUST! I use this after my workouts for my recovery and have YET to have a sore muscle. I can feel that I've worked out but am not sore whatsoever after using this in combination with my Whey Isolate!"
Written by Erin from Austin, TX
The Science Behind NutraBio BCAA 5000
The essential amino acids leucine, isoleucine, and valine collectively form what is referred to as the branched chain amino acids (BCAAs). These amino acids are essential because they cannot be produced in the body and must be provided though supplementation or diet. BCAAs comprise approximately 30% of the total muscle protein pool and are the primary amino acids oxidized in the muscle during exercise and catabolic stress. For these reasons, athletes supplement with BCAAs for the purpose of increasing muscle mass, reducing muscle damage, blunting fatigue, and increasing energy during exercise.
Hundreds of studies exist on the ergogenic benefits of BCAAs. The majority of them show that BCAAs, whether consumed throughout the day or pre, during, or post-exercise, decrease protein catabolism (breakdown) and support muscle protein synthesis, a physiological process responsible for muscle growth and repair. Furthermore, BCAAs are vitally important to glucose (energy) production, contributing to more than 40% of glucose production during sustained endurance exercises.
A study done in 2009 found that subjects who supplemented with BCAAs while following an 8-week resistance training program had a greater decrease in body fat, an increase in lean mass, and greater strength gains on the bench press and squat compared to the non-BCAA group.
The BCAAs found in NutraBio BCAA 5000 are in the research-backed ratio of 2:1:1 (leucine: isoleucine:valine) and come from plant sources as opposed to animal sources, such as feathers or hair.
L-LEUCINE (2500 mg)
- Leucine is one of the essential BCAAs. By itself, it can stimulate muscle protein synthesis, the process responsible for muscle growth and recovery. This is why it is often referred to as the "main" amino acid.
- Supplementation with at least 2 grams daily of leucine has been shown to decrease muscle soreness, lessen recovery time between workouts, and increase lean muscle mass.
- Howatson et al. (2012) discovered that leucine (combined with isoleucine and valine) administered before muscle damaging resistance exercises reduced indices of muscle damage and accelerated recovery in resistance-trained males.
L-ISOLEUCINE (1250 mg)
- Isoleucine, like leucine, is another BCAA that can stimulate muscle protein synthesis but to a lesser extent when not combined with the other BCAAs. However, isoleucine significantly increases glucose uptake and the use of glucose during exercise, leading to greater energy production.
- Isoleucine may also play a role in the fat-burning abilities of BCAAs.
- Nishimura et al. (2010) found that mice consuming a high-fat diet in conjunction with isoleucine gained less fat mass than mice not receiving isoleucine. This was due to isoleucine's ability to stimulate receptors that inhibit fat storage and increase fat burning.
L-VALINE (1250 mg)
- Valine, the third BCAA, promotes muscular endurance and decreases fatigue during exercise.
- When exercising, tryptophan is converted to serotonin and signals the brain that the body is fatigued—ultimately leading to a decrease in muscle strength and endurance.
- Since valine competes with tryptophan for entry into the brain and prevails, less serotonin gets to the brain, which ultimately leads to stronger muscular contractions, quicker recovery between sets, and prolonged muscular strength and endurance.
BCAA 5000 FAQs
What is the best way to take BCAA 5000?
- Mix one scoop of BCAA 5000 into 16 oz. of cold water or your favorite beverage and consume 2 times daily. For best results, take BCAA 5000 between meals to optimize muscle protein synthesis
Do I really need to take BCAAs? Can't I just get them through my diet?
- While you can most definitely get BCAAs through a regular diet high in protein, consider this: 5 grams of BCAAs promotes muscle protein synthesis, just as much as a 25–30 gram high protein meal. Essentially, BCAAs help promote and maintain lean muscle gains and aid recovery without the calories, which might benefit individuals trying to cut or find themselves too "full" to eat another meal.
How do BCAAs help during training and recovery?
- BCAAs are the basic building blocks of the human body, including muscles. BCAAs are necessary in our diets in order to repair and rebuild muscle tissue. They also are necessary to maintain energy levels, maintain a healthy metabolism, control excess weight gain, and other important functions.
What other NutraBio products would you recommend taking with BCAA 5000?
- For muscle building and recovery goals, we recommend stacking BCAA 5000 with our 100% Whey Protein Isolate and one of our pre-workout formulas, such as PRE EXTREME.
What makes BCAA 5000 better than other branched chain amino acid supplements?